Inability to create a new document or check out an existing document in a Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 document library
Consider the following scenario. You connect to a document library in a Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 site or in a Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 site by using Windows Internet Explorer 7 or Microsoft Internet Explorer 6. However, when you try to open a Microsoft Office document, Internet Explorer crashes (stops responding). Additionally, when you click New Document, the button does not work. You cannot create a new document. This problem occurs if the following conditions are true, in the order in which they are presented:
- You installed a Microsoft Office 2003 product on the computer.
- You installed one or more 2007 Office system programs on the computer.
- You repaired or updated the installation of an Office 2003 product.
This problem occurs because the older version of the Name.dll file becomes the registered version. When the Owssupp.dll file is used, it tries to use functionality that is not available. This condition causes Internet Explorer to crash (stop responding).
To work around this problem, repair the 2007 Office system. To do this on a Windows XP or on a Windows Server 2003-based computer, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
- In the Add or Remove Programs dialog box, select Microsoft Office version 2007, and then click Change.
Note In this case, version indicates the installed version of the 2007 Office system.
- In the Microsoft Office version 2007 dialog box, click Repair, and then click Continue.
- Click Close when the repair process is complete.
To do this on a Windows Vista-based computer, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- Click Programs.
- Click Programs and Features.
- Select Microsoft Office Version 2007, and then click Change.
Note Version is a placeholder for the version of the 2007 Office system.
- In the Microsoft Office Version 2007 dialog box, click Repair, and then click Continue.
- Click Close when the repair process is completed.
- Restart the computer if you are prompted.
With the best SharePoint hosting price plans in the industry, Apps4Rent provides any sized business the power to integrate the virtual collaboration technology into their business model and streamline communications at a minimal SharePoint hosting price rate of $8.95 per month.