Creating a SharePoint Document Library
Creating a SharePoint Document library
A library is a location on a site where you can create, collect, update, and manage files with team members. Each library displays a list of files and key information about the files, which helps people to use the files to work together.
You can create and manage documents, spreadsheets, presentations, forms, and other types of files in a library. The Shared Documents library is created for you when Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services creates a new site. You can customize the library for your purposes, or you can create additional libraries.
NOTE: To create a library, you must have permission to manage lists on the site where you want to create the library.
1. Click View All Site Content, and then click Create on the All Site Content page.
NOTE: In most cases, you can use the Site Actions menu instead to complete this step.
2. Under Libraries, click the type of library that you want, such as Document Library.
3. In the Name box, type a name for the library. The library name is required.
The name appears at the top of the library page, becomes part of the address for the library page, and appears in navigational elements that help users to find and open the library.
4. In the Description box, type a description of the purpose of the library. The description is optional.
The description appears at the top of the library page, underneath the name of the library. If you plan to enable the library to receive content by e-mail, you can add the e-mail address of the library to its description, so that people can easily find it.
5. To add a link to this library on the Quick Launch, verify that Yes is selected in the Navigation section.
6. If an Incoming E-mail section appears, your administrator has enabled your site to receive content by e-mail. If you want people to add files to the library by sending them as attachments to e-mail messages, click Yes. Then, in the E-mail address box, type the first part of the address that you want people to use for the library.
7. To create a version each time a file is checked into the library, in the Document Version History or Picture Version History section, click Yes.
You can later choose whether you want to store both major and minor versions and how many versions of each you want to track.
8. Depending on the type of library you are creating, a Document Template section may be available, which lists the compatible programs that are available as the default for creating new files. If content types are enabled, the default template is specified through the content type. In the Document Template section, in the drop-down list, click the type of default file that you want to be used as a template for files that are created in the library.
9. Click Create.
With the best SharePoint hosting price plans in the industry, Apps4Rent provides any sized business the power to integrate the virtual collaboration technology into their business model and streamline communications at a minimal SharePoint hosting price rate of $8.95 per month.
Apps4Rent’s SharePoint Web Site Hosting